Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question about New Frontiers for Lifelong Learning? Here are some of the most common questions people ask:
Who We Are and What We Do
- What is New Frontiers?
- New Frontiers for Lifelong Learning is a peer-led, self-directed volunteer organization of more than 400 active adult members. We focus on learning as a method for promoting a healthy lifestyle. We provide a learning environment through peer-led classes, social opportunities, and movement through hiking, dancing, exercise, and travel possibilities for our members.
- What other benefits are available to members?
- Check out our Benefits page to discover all that you can receive with a New Frontiers membership!
Becoming a New Member
- Who may become a New Frontiers member?
- Membership is open to anyone interested in lifelong learning. While the majority of our members reside in the East Valley, we have members from all around the greater Phoenix area. Winter visitors are also welcome.
- What does it cost to join?
- Membership for a full year costs $60.00 and it starts on September 1st and ends on August 31st. We offer a $40.00 membership for the Spring semester starting on January 1st and ends on August 31st.
- Should I attend Open House?
- Open House is optional but offers members and prospective new members the opportunity to talk with class presenters and gather information about classes. We recommend that prospective members attend to learn about the organization through an orientation program, explore available classes, and sign up to become a member. Check our Calendar for dates and times.
- What is New Members Coffee?
- We highly recommend that new members attend the New Members Coffee scheduled after each Open House. It is a great opportunity to meet other new members, learn about the organization, and discover upcoming events and ways to participate.
About Our Classes
- How can I get a copy of the Course Schedule?
- It is available online, but you can also contact us to receive a printed copy.
- How many classes may I take per semester?
- You may register for as many classes as you wish. Please be sure to check for schedule conflicts. Some classes have multiple sessions occuring weekly, while others may only occur once. Travel programs or social activities may occasionally conflict with a session of a class.
- When and where are classes and events held?
- Classes and events are held at various venues throughout the East Valley. See the class schedule for locations and times.
- What do I do if I can’t attend a class that I registered for?
- Notify the facilitator by e-mail or phone so someone on a waiting list may attend.
- How do I get on a waiting list for a class?
- When you try to register for a class, you'll be notified if there is space available in that class. If not, you will be given the opportunity to put your name on a waiting list. We will let you know if a space opens up for you.
Communication and Further Questions
- How do I communicate questions or suggestions to the Council?
- You should speak to our Members at Large. These are members elected to represent you at Council meetings, and they can bring special issues or suggestions to the attention of the Council on your behalf. You are also invited to attend Council meetings as a guest. Check the Calendar for dates, times and locations. Meetings are held the second Monday of each month.
- How do I contact New Frontiers officers or committee chairs?
- If you have a specialized question for one of the Council officers or the chair of a certain committee, you can find their contact information on the Council page.
- I still have a question that hasn't been answered. How do I contact someone to ask?
- If you have a question that was not addressed above, see our Contact page, and give us a call or an e-mail!
Ready to Join?